DAY HIKING trips can provide a welcome dose of wilderness in your weekend. They also help you prepare and train for longer hikes.
- Start early. You'll enjoy cooler weather and better odds of spotting wildlife if you begin your hike before dawn.
- Avoid the crowds by hiking in a designated wilderness or road-less area.
- The right hiking gear - particularly shoes - is essential.
HIKING AT NIGHT will open your eyes and ears to a whole new world of wilderness. Many designated wilderness and camping areas permit night hiking, but be sure to check before you visit.
Here's some great ideas on how to hike in the dark outdoors:
- Bring a small but powerful LED flashlight
- Travel in a group or consider taking a guided night hike
- Take water and simple snacks without strong odors to avoid attracting wildlife.
And most importantly enjoy and experience all the beautiful nature there is, because in the mountains there is A LOT!!!