- Cream together butter or margarine and confectioner's sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time; beat for 3 minutes after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Slice 2 bananas, and sprinkle with lemon juice. Fold grated chocolate and bananas into sugar mixture. Turn filling into cooled pie shell. Garnish with walnuts, banana slices, and whipped cream.
Monday, May 6, 2013
Slice of Heaven: Banana Split Pie
When it comes to baking, there is nothing more satisfying than biting into a piece of sweet and savory pie especially the kind that melts in your mouth and leaves you speechless. One of those types of pies is the banana split pie. Filled to the brim with fresh bananas, grated semi-sweet chocolate, powdered sugar, and an entire stick of butter, the banana split pie will remind you of the comforts of home and sweet childhood memories. Nostalgia comes naturally as the process to prepare this pie comes to fruition. Before adding the prescribed whipped cream topping, you should think about this tasty alternative: whipped egg whites, a tablespoon of vanilla, and half a cup of sugar. It takes about 10-15 minutes to get the egg whites whipped enough that it forms stiff peaks, but the result is more satisfying. Once stiff peaks have formed, stuff the topping into a small plastic Ziploc bag and cut a hole in the corner to squeeze out onto the pie filling.
Once the filling and topping are finished, be sure to garnish the pie with walnut pieces. It adds a wonderful crunch and flavor burst to the predominately banana flavor. Happy baking!
1. 1/2 cup butter
2. 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3. 3 eggs
4. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5. 2 bananas
6. 1 tablespoon lemon juice
7. 1 (1 ounce) square semi-sweet chocolate, grated
8. 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked